Preparing for a singing audition can be really brainstorming. You are worried about your selection of songs and if the judges will accept you. This article will discuss 8 things you are expected to do before attending that audition.
8 Things To Do Before Attending Singing Audition
When preparing to ace that singing audition, here are 8 things to put in place:-
- Identify the concept of the Audition: There are several types of audition. It could be an audition for a musical theatre, an Opera house, a singing competition, a talent hunt , a choral audition, etc. An Audition comes with its criteria. You are to find out the concept the organizers intend to achieve at the end of the audition I.e. Do not attend a church choir audition performing a secular pop song.
- Select the right songs: Make sure that you choose songs that are simple and short. Songs that you can easily sing and will bring out the best of your voice. If there are a list of selected songs that you have to choose from, please choose songs that best suit your range.
- Rehearse the songs: Do not go to the audition hall without rehearsing your chosen song. Get people to listen to your rehearsals and ask them to share their opinion of your performance.
- Pick the right cloth or costume: Remember that how you dress is how you want to be addressed. Some auditions might accommodate casual dressing while some would require a classy dressing. Just ensure that your dressing does not redirect your judges from focusing on your song.
- Warm up and Exercise : This should be a daily routine for every singer. Nevertheless ensure to have warmed your voice with vocal exercises before going in for an audition.
- Stay hydrated: Drink a lot of water(room temperature). Staying hydrated makes you feel relieved and vocally healthy for the next song.
- Stay Positive: There is a tendency for you to fear and worry. Do not be afraid. Stay positive. See yourself as a talented singer that the world needs to hear. Even if all the contestants before you were rejected. Have the confidence that you would be unique to your judges.
- Prayer : Do not forget to pray. Prayer goes a long way to ensure that your presence at the audition will be filled with grace.
These tips will help you prepare for an audition. Wishing you the best of luck as you go to your next audition.
Hope this was insight and you now know the essential things to do before attending a singing audition? Drop your comment below.
Grace Oforka is the founder of Graciedion Choral Society and Graciedion Media Ltd. A prolific singer, vocal coach, music therapist and composer.