The African Concert Series, first held in 2019, is back in 2020 with an Online Edition scheduled to hold on Facebook from 22 – 29 June. This year’s edition will be a one week of daily, short performances streamed from Nigeria, USA, Cayman Islands, Hungary and UK, featuring a rare appearance of acclaimed composer Fred Onovwerosuoke.
The first edition of the African Concert was anchored by its founder, the renowned and award winning Nigerian-Romanian pianist Rebeca Omordia. The edition was launched in London and featured a monthly concerts of music by African classical composers.
Her premier of the edition was described by the BBC World Service as “the African Art Music makes a comeback”, the programme of the series reflects the depth and diversity of African art music, the richly diverse genre of music which forms a bridge between Western classical music and traditional African music.’
STRUCTURE OF PROGRAM FOR THE AFRICAN CONCERT SERIES 2020
The African Concert Series 2020 will begin on 22nd June and will run to 29th June 2020. In place of an on-stage concert, this year’s event will premier on Facebook.
The program breakdown is as follows;
2. June 23rd will feature African Art Song by Jo Oparamanuike and Babatunde Sosan
3. June 24th will feature The South African Double Bass by Leon Bosch
4. June 25th – Nigerian Odyssey: Piano Music by Nigerian Composers by Glen Inanga
5. June 26th African Art Music for Woodwind Quintet by IMI Chamber Players
6. June 27th will feature Arabesque: Piano Music from the Arab World by Marouan Benabdallah
7. June 28th will feature Organ by Composers by Babatunde Sosan
8. June 29th will feature Ekele: Piano Music by African Composer by the maestro Rebeca Omordia.
The concert series will be held online on The African Composer Facebook Page – African Concert Series.